- Awareness Creation Programmes: Mainly to create awareness about the project and programmes amongst all stakeholders. Through Awareness Creation Programmes right kind of interest is generated amongst potential entrepreneurs which help them pursuing entrepreneurship development programmes at later stage. These programmes also help in building rapport between entrepreneurs and support institutions.
- Technology Demonstration Programmes: Objective of these programmes is mainly to give technology orientation and technical exposure to entrepreneurs. During these programmes not only they come across various technologies but they also experience technologies which have potential in the given area and entrepreneurs are interested to take it further.
- Entrepreneurship Development Programmes: The approach to entrepreneurship development (ED) through training interventions has emerged in response to the constraints encountered by potential entrepreneurs who have a desire to seek entrepreneurial path but haven't it translated the same into action. The entrepreneurship development package which emerged from the felt needs of entrepreneurs comprises of:
- i) identifying and carefully selecting those who could be developed as entrepreneurs;
ii) Developing their entrepreneurial capabilities - especially the behavioural ones;
iii) Linking the potential entrepreneurs (trainees) with viable projects;
iv) Equipping them with basic managerial and technical understanding;
v) Helping them to secure necessary finance, infrastructure, and technology so that they are able to start their venture within the shortest possible time.
- Technology Propagation Programmes: These programmes are conducted mainly to establish required linkages between technology suppliers and entrepreneurs. In addition to this, Technology Propagation Programmes help in disseminating the technology details and other relevant information with the stakeholders effectively.
- Stakeholders Meet: Enterprise building process is a function of three key elements namely, the entrepreneurs, the enterprise and the environment. While a competent entrepreneur is expected to be in a position to manage the ‘environment’ within which he/she operates, an enabling environment conducive for emergence and growth of SMEs would hasten the phase of the development. Thus, more value could be added to HRD interventions targeted at entrepreneurs by integrating the same with the efforts to create a conducive environment (especially in terms of Government policies and efficacy of support system) for emergence and growth of SMEs. As a starting point in creating such a conducive environment, it is necessary to sensitise the key players in SME development to the needs of new/existing entrepreneurs.
Another major issue which needs to be addressed is that of gender. Though it is believed that there is gender neutrality in the domain of SME development it is perceived and accepted in the developing world that gender bias is subtly manifested in thoughts, feelings and actions of the SME support system. This coupled with the need to bring women into economic mainstream and make them active partners in the development process makes it necessary to focus on approaches devoid of gender bias of any sort.
- Creating Data Bank of Technologies and Resources: To facilitate entrepreneurs in getting prima facie information on various viable technologies, data bank of technologies and resources is created. It helps the entrepreneurs in taking investment decisions fast.
- Innovators Meet: To facilitate entrepreneurs in getting the update information on new technologies and innovations made, these meets are quite useful. Entrepreneurs can interact with innovators from various fields and required information can be shared amongst key stakeholders.
- IPR Related Programmes: To create awareness and understanding about Intellectual Property Right, seminars, workshops and programmes of various types are conducted related to the theme.
- Skill Development Programmes: To help participants of various programmes skill development training programmes are organised. Objective of these programmes is to help trainees in imbibing required skills which ultimately facilitate them in running and managing their enterprises effectively and profitably.
Second Year (2015-16)
Planned vs. actual activities carried out for popularization, capacity building and sensitizing new-entrepreneurs during this one year period:
To popularize i-STED project amongst key stake holders, potential target groups and to build the capacity of new/potential entrepreneurs and sensitize them, following activities were planned and carried out during the year 2015-16:
- Developed brochure (English/local language) giving details of the project and circulated the same amongst large number of institutions, agencies which are directly/indirectly involved in promoting entrepreneurship in NER.
- Conducted stakeholders’ workshop comprising of NEDFi, ASTEC, SIRD, and Entrepreneurs was held in Guwahati on 29th January, 2016 at EDI-NER Office. Another stakeholder meet comprising of officials from Directorate of Industries, Meghalaya including Director and entrepreneurs was held at EDI-NER Office on 5th Feb, 2016.
- 3rd GMC Meeting was conducted on 14th Oct, 2015 as given in Annexure – III.
- Rapport Building and identification of resource persons was one of the important activities planned and implemented during the year. Some of the important institutions, agencies approached/sensitized are; NIF-NER, IIT-Guwahati, Incubation Centre-IIT, Directorate of Industries, All DICCs, SIDBI, BYST, NERAMAC, APEDA, SFAC, NSIC, IIE, FICCI, NEDFi, Bamboo Tech. Park, ICC, CII, EDC-Assam Engineering College, NPC, FINER, Assam Agriculture University, NEIST, North East Mega Food Park, ASTEC, National Institute of Solar Energy, etc.
- Programmes conducted during 2015-16
- Entrepreneurship Awareness Programmes [EAC]:
To create awareness about the project and to popularize amongst the target groups, it was planned to organize about 20-25 EACs at various places. However, keeping in mind the target as well as local condition, it was decided to organize more no. of programmes than planned. Therefore, in all 34 EACs covering various locations of Assam were conducted. Locations where EACs were conducted are; Tinsukia, Majuli, Barpeta Road, Barpeta, Lankeswar, Dwarkuchi, Sipajhar, Nikashi (Masalpur), Nalbari, Dharmanagar, Mangaldoi, Silchar (5 Nos.), Dudhnoi (5Nos), Hatsinghimari, Mancachar, Badarpur, Karimganj, Agartala, Guwahati (8Nos.)
- Technology Demonstration Programmes:
To help potential as well as existing entrepreneurs under the project, 6 nos of Technology Demonstration Programmes were planned and conducted at various locations covering all the three sectors identified under the project. These technology demonstration programmes were conducted at Raipur (Barpeta), Hajo (Bakta), Ghohkuchi (Nalbari,) Gorchuk, Boragaon, Sonapur.
- Entrepreneurship Development Programmes:
Entrepreneurship Development Programmes were planned and conducted at Kharupetia, Mangaldoi, Tinsukia, Barpeta, Majuli, Hajo, Noonmati(Guwahati),Sipajhar, Nikashi ,Agartala, Dharmanagar, Sonapur, Goreswar, Gotanagar (Guwahati), Nalbari (2 nos.), Dwarkuchi and Lankeswar (Guwahati).
- Skill Development Programme:
To help potential/existing entrepreneurs for acquiring skill; the skill training programmes were conducted at following locations:
Food Processing Sector : IICPT-Guwahati (2Nos), Morigaon
Cane & Bamboo Sector : Nalbari (2Nos.), Raipur (Barpeta), Aizawl, Karimganj, Barpeta Town
Solar Sector : Mangaldoi, Nalbari, Kharupetia
- Entrepreneurship Awareness Programmes [EAC]:
Following are the details of projection vs. achievements:
Target Year- II
|Sr. No.||Outcome Projections||Number|
|1||Outreach to Targeted Population||1000
|2||Skill Development/ Capacity Building||300 (persons)|
|3||Entrepreneurs Nurtured, Mentored, Trained for Technology interventions, Performance Improvement, Enterprise Growth, New Enterprise Creation||20 Enterprises|
|4||Employment Generation (Direct)||160 (persons)|
|5||Turnover assuming Average Turnover/ Enterprise (@ Rs. 10 Lakh)||Rs. 175 Lakh|
Actual Position at the end of Second year of the Project
|Sr. No.||Outcome Projections||Number|
|1||Outreach to Targeted Population
[Through EACs] 34 Nos.
|2||Skill Development/ Capacity Building/ Technology Demonstration
(12 Nos.) (18 Nos.) (6 Nos.)
|3||Entrepreneurs nurtured, mentored, trained for technology interventions, performance improvement, enterprise growth, new enterprise creation||47
|4||Employment generation (direct)||144
|5||Turnover (47 units accumulated)||Rs. 10.37
Target Set for Years 2 to 5
|Sr. No.||Outcome Projections||Year II||Year III||Year IV||Year V|
|1||Outreach to Targeted Population||1000||1100||1200||1300|
|2||Skill Development/ Capacity Building||300||350||400||450|
|3||Entrepreneurs Nurtured, Mentored, Trained for Technology interventions, Performance Improvement, Enterprise Growth, New Enterprise Creation||20||25||30||35|
|4||Employment Generation (Direct)||160||200||240||280|
|5||Turnover||175 Lakh||225 Lakh||275 Lakh||315 Lakh|
Mapping done to identify potential region as well as technology sectors for new S&T entrepreneurship development program
Following are the proposed locations for conducting EACs / EDPs / TEDPs / Technology Demonstration Programme / Skill Training Programmes during 2016-17 in three technology sectors namely; Food Processing, Renewable Energy(Solar) and Cane & Bamboo;
- Guwahati (kamrup)
- Aizawl (Mizoram)
- Nongpoh and Shillong (Meghalaya)
- Gangtok (Sikkim)
In addition the following activities will be given due emphasis:
- Follow-up in the DIC/Banks etc.for grounding units.
- Videography of units already grounded.
- Technology Demonstration of various machines acquired / to be acquired.
- Exposure visit for entrepreneurs in IIFT Delhi / Ahmedabad / Hyderabad etc. for sourcing of new technologies on latest machinaries / products etc.
- Focus on other NE States.